Saturday, January 7, 2012

Clutter Free Classroom Challenge: Week 1

So I am participating in Clutter Free Clasroom's Organization Challenge.  I am embarrassed by how awful some of my room really is, so I admit that I didn't take pictures of everything.  I will start off by saying that I have an awful closet/room attached to my classroom which is awesome for storage but horrible for actually keeping things cleaned up.  It was a mess and chock full when I started and slowly my FABULOUS aide has been spending her free moments picking it up and sorting through, literally, BOXES of rocks!  Oh, and I inherited 4 filing cabinets full of stuff that I have been slowly picking through.

Anyway, I have a lot more stuff in my classroom that I realize I didn't take pictures of but I figure I owe it to myself to showcase the three WORST parts of the room.

#1: My Desk
and the corner behind my desk that used to have filing cabinets, I just moved this shelving unit which is covered by the blue cloth that flips down: but inside, even though I have cleaned it is STILL a mess:
UGH!  Seeing this makes me want to scream!! I HATE seeing this but I never seem to have the time to actually go ahead and fix it!

#2:  Annoying (+ugly!) storage which is poorly used:
(sorry that it's blurry!)  Anyway, I didn't even bother opening the cabinet to see what's inside.  It's just poorly used space.  It's all pretty much science materials and it's disorganized.  I tried sorting through it by labeling what was inside, but it's changed since September.  I hate he color, but since the cabinet fronts slide up and into the unit, I'm not sure how to cover it---contact paper!?  Anyway, this is annoying.

#3:  Bookcase.  I am so sad that this made the list since I teach one double period of ELA.  :(  I had to make my own bookshelves to bring in, so that set me back.  I also didn't have ANY books AT ALL in the room.  They had NO "free choice" type of books in the room, or available.  Every one of these books are ones that I have purchased at library book sales, so that part I am especially proud of.  I am proud that I have been able to create a class library.  But, what I DON'T like is how it's organized.  Or the labels...which I quickly stuck on and now they are falling apart and down and all around.  Anyway, here it is:

 Technically, the two short bookshelves do not house JUST books.  That second shelf could actually be moved (but I don't know where it would go).  The top shelf is half empty (eww) but the second basket houses students who have books they leave in the room for study hall.  The second shelf has science journals for two of the periods.  The third shelf has the last period's science journals and also reading notebooks.


Anyway, as you can see, my classroom needs some love!  I hope there's a good solution coming up from Clutter Free Classroom this week because right now my room seems so annoying!

Anyway, happy weekend to all!
*Ms. D*

9 comments:

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

Thanks for linking up. Could you cover that orange cabinet with contact paper? They make some really stylish patterns.

❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Ms. D said...

Jodi!
I love that idea! I think I may just go buy some today. You are totally right--after seeing it (in photo form) I hate it even more! :) Thanks for blogging and helping us all in an area no college, orientation, or anything really ever covers. It is SO VERY MUCH appreciated!

JJ said...

I can't wait to see after pictures. Love the suggestion from Jodi. Good Luck!

JJ

http://guide2math.blogspot.com/

Ms.M said...

Not too bad, just looks like you need a better system. Although it sounds like you know exactly what to do.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Katie @ Miss Klohn's Classroom said...

When I entered my classroom I was lucky enough to inherit many books from the previous teacher, but they were in such poor shape and so organized. At the end of last year, I had my students help me sort and organize all of them and we purged the ones that were no good. I have really been working hard on also providing my students with books that they will want to read. Granted, I have spent a little too much money in that department, but I keep telling myself my books will always go with me!

Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

Jill said...

That storage cabinet is super ugly!! I hope that contact paper will work for you. Holy moly.

Marvelous Multiagers!

Bonnie Walton said...

I was going to suggest contact paper as well! I also think it's an ugly color (but this likely stems from my hatred of Clemson). I have to commend your desk...I noticed the calendar is at least on January. Mine? Still on August! Found you through the linky and I'm your newest follower!

Bonnie
Living A Wonderful Life

Anonymous said...

I'm just about to move jobs and I can't believe how much rubbish I've accumulated since I started here five years ago (despite sorting everything out to put it into storage at school while I was on maternity leave last year). I've found paperwork from 2008, text books that are way older than me and some really useful resources that I'd forgotten I had as they were buried under all the clutter! I resolve to be far more organised and tidy in my new classroom - I'm going to have to be as it's a job share and I'd get annoyed if someone left me mess, so i'd better not do it to them!
Hope you've got sorted now!

Emilie said...

Staying organized is a super problem for most teachers and busy mom's. I believe the best solution is to eliminate the extra books and work with bare minimum. When they have been thoroughly used replace with the extras and use them thoroughly. Store the extras out of sight. Sorry about the color of the file cabinet: can of paint is faster that contact paper and forgiving as c/p is not. Happy teaching which is most important! Please don't sweat the small stuff and miss out on the joys of your day. Your students will remember you for that not the neat and tidy files.